Thursday 19 March 2009

Day 8 – 19 March and the Heat Wave continues in Martindale

I knew I had to be back home this evening for a quiz (stop press – we beat Blackpool by a handsome margin!) so I left my Bowness lodgings at 0730. Even so it took nearly an hour to drive to Martindale. The first top (Steel Knotts, 1414’) was a bit windy and cool, but adorned by a sharp spike of rock at the summit. From there it was all the way down again to St Martin’s Church and then up Beda Fell (1664’). When I told Val about this she said it was an unfortunate name – she must have thought it was called Paedophile…


A long walk along the ridge followed, accompanied by Ravens much of the way, to Angletarn Pikes (1857’), which are easily seen from yesterday’s start point of Hartsop even though it’s half an hour’s drive away. A quick circuit of Angle Tarn to Brock Crags (1842’) was followed by a promenade along the most delightful path above Patterdale, as far as Boardale Hause, from where the track rose again to Place Fell (2154’). There were lots of people around now, including a school party and A group of soldiers with Army Benevolent Fund T-shirts. Nearly all of them had i-pods sticking in their ears, and I’m not talking about the school party.




Once back at the car after traversing the Place Fell Ridge, I left the rucksack behind and walked briskly up and down Hallin Fell (1271’) in a 30-minute dash, rewarded by outstanding views of Ullswater. When I got back to the car a couple came walking by with two dogs and a green parrot on a perch. I kid you not.





Sorry this is a bit rushed, but I don’t get a day off tomorrow or Saturday, so I’m posting this when I should be in bed. But by my reckoning that’s 48 tops done and tomorrow I should break the 30,000’ barrier which means more than one Mount Everest. Mustn’t forget the sun-cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment