Thursday 19 March 2009

Day 7 - Sunburn? In March?

Wednesday 18th started at Hartsop with a steep climb up to Hartsop Dodd (2018’) followed by Caudale Moor (the summit at 2502’ is known as Stoney Cove Pike). It was a beautiful sunny morning but as I dropped down to the Kirkstone Pass Inn the world was enveloped in cloud and mist and it seemed a bone-chillingly cold place. I’d forgotten my Camelbak (a system that provides water on tap via a ‘hose’ from my rucksack, so I went into the pub for a top-up and a can of Red Bull for later.




From the other side of the road a pitched path strikes almost vertically up the face of Red Screes, rising 850’ in hardly any horizontal distance to the summit at 2541’. It was hard work but near the top I popped out of the cloud into bright blue skies again, which were to stay with me for the rest of the day.









From the summit it was down to Middle Dodd (2106’) and then back to the ridge at the Scandale Pass, then to Little Hart Crag (2091’) and down the next ridge to High Hartsop Dodd (1702’) where the cairn consisted of three stones! That was a drop of nearly 400’ and I had to tramp all the way back up again before attempting to go ‘across country’ beneath the imposing rock face of Dove Crag. This was really hard work – no path, and lots of crags, forcing about turns and unwelcome descents. I passed a tiny pond full of frogs and, being ready for a rest, waited motionless for five minutes so I could take a photo of them,

Eventually I reached the ruined shelter on the Dove Crag track and struck across to reach the Hartsop above How ridge, gaining another 800’ in the process, then enjoying a nice sunny yomp down the ridge, over Hartsop How, the last top of the day at 1870’.

The descent to Cow Bridge was really steep at times but eventually I got back to the car. People in Hartsop village were sitting out on their patios – in March! Surely Margaret must be pulling some strings big-time with whoever is controlling the weather!

A big day – 13 miles and over 5,000’ of ascent, and another long day tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment