Wednesday 25 March 2009

Blown off Course?

Day 13 – Wednesday 25 March. The weather forecast promised gales, and after Monday’s experience I didn’t think it a good idea to tackle the planned extended Kentmere Horseshoe – especially as I’d felt pretty worn out the night before. So when we got up and saw the trees being blown about, we decided to err on the side of caution. I have to have the weekend off for a longstanding social break, and I’d planned to restart next Tuesday. So if I were to take today off and restart next Monday, then no time would be lost.

I hadn’t planned on Mike though. “What about doing Lingmoor Fell? That way it shortens the last day and if anyone wants to join you, then they won’t have to walk the full 14 miles.” Great Mike, OK, we’ll do that. “We could do Pike o’Blisco as well, that would shorten the Head of Langdale route” I agreed to Lingmoor Fell but vetoed Pike o’Blisco. I need that day off!

So off we set to the Blea Tarn road where we parked the car and set off by Side Pike, and were on the summit of Lingmoor Fell (1530’) in 45 minutes (I felt a lot better this morning!). A lot of heather had been burnt recently and the overnight rain seemed to bring out the acrid smell which caught the back of your throat. It certainly was windy, but we avoided the showers and the air was crystal clear, with great views of the Coniston Fells, the Crinkles, Bowfell and the Langdales.



On the return we were blown down the steep slope from Side Pike so fast our legs could hardly keep up! Back at the car we found it surrounded by Mountain Goat minibuses whose Japanese tourists were taking photos at a fantastic rate of knots, without at any time straying more than 10 yards from the safety of the minibus. Further down towards the Dungeon Ghyll, in the midst of all this impressive scenery, a man was busy taking photos… of his black BMW.

And so, adding only one top to the overall tally, it’s off home to have a long weekend’s rest.

PS. On arrival at home there’s a letter from Darwen Probus saying how much they are looking forward to me giving them a talk. On Thursday 26 March. I can’t remember them asking me to talk to them, and it’s not in my diary. One of us must have had an diary malfunction, but as I’m home, I might as well go! They’d better all stay awake!


PPS. 26/3/09. Definitely my diary malfunction, as the speakers' convenor for Darwen Probus knew that I donate the speaker's fee to The Christie Hospital, so he must have spoken to me at some stage. What a big club, about 60 members all of whom seemed to enjoy the talk. Better not criticise the 'old' men of Probus if I can't even remember an appointment...!

No comments:

Post a Comment